About Me

My photo
Rural, GA, United States
I'm an army wife, working mom of 2 kids.! My husband Tim is a Soldier In the army. I work for MWR for the Community Recreation Division as an admin assistant...I absolutely LOVE my job I couldn't have found anything better! My daughter, Kennedie, was born in January of 04 and our son, Cale, was born June of 09. Kennedie is VERY involved in dancing, she is in her 11th season (2019-2020) of being a competitive dancer. It's exhausting but we LOVE it. Cale is starting to REALLY get into sports. He is on a year round wrestling team, and he plays baseball in the spring! This blog started out as a recipe sharing venture but now it's going to turn into a more "granola" way to live. Cheap recipes more homemade recipes and re-purposing things. I'm a crafter at heart so I'm going to throw some of that in there too! On Valentines Day of 2017 we bought our first Travel Trailer. I'll be documenting our travels also on this blog!

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Easy Counter Top Makeover


We had these UGLY blue counters when we first bought the house 2 years ago.  I knew going into this house that I was going to at least paint the cabinets.  You can see in this picture that I had started the process of painting.  It was a country blue counter top to match the linoleum on the floor. 


This is the product that I bought, it was $69 for the roll when I bought it.  I ended up needed two rolls of it.  I still have some left over should I need to repair anything.


What is great about this fix is that it's NOT contact paper.  A lot of people in their rentals are using contact paper to cover up their counter tops.  It never holds up well and you can see that it was contact paper.  This is PVC grade vinyl.  It's meant to be used frequently.  This has been on my counter tops for a year now.  A lot of people have no idea it's vinyl.  I've used and abused it and it's holding up REALLY well. Consequently I DID use contact paper I purchased on amazon for the back splash.



I has to use the "wet method" to apply it, the product actually required it.  I filled an almost empty cleaning solution bottle (we are talking there MAYBE was an inch of solution left) with water and sprayed the counter before I applied the vinyl.  (You can google "wet method vinyl application" if you would like to see it in action.)  This process gives you time to move the vinyl around into place and get the air bubbles out.  I used a scraper tool from home depot (but a credit card would work too) and you just push the air bubble to the edge of the vinyl.

 
This was my biggest section of vinyl.  The vinyl isn't long enough to stretch across so I had to use two pieces of vinyl.  You can tell there is a little overlap when you are there in person, but you really have to be looking at it to see it.


I recommend this to ANYONE that doesn't have it in the budget right now to update their counter tops.  They offer a lot of different styles, I just chose the marble cause it matched my grey/white theme I have going on in the kitchen.  One day we will have actual marble or granite.  For right now this works to get rid of the ugly blue!!

No comments:

Post a Comment