About Me

My photo
Rural, GA, United States
I'm an army wife, working mom of 2 kids.! My husband Tim is a Soldier In the army. I work for MWR for the Community Recreation Division as an admin assistant...I absolutely LOVE my job I couldn't have found anything better! My daughter, Kennedie, was born in January of 04 and our son, Cale, was born June of 09. Kennedie is VERY involved in dancing, she is in her 11th season (2019-2020) of being a competitive dancer. It's exhausting but we LOVE it. Cale is starting to REALLY get into sports. He is on a year round wrestling team, and he plays baseball in the spring! This blog started out as a recipe sharing venture but now it's going to turn into a more "granola" way to live. Cheap recipes more homemade recipes and re-purposing things. I'm a crafter at heart so I'm going to throw some of that in there too! On Valentines Day of 2017 we bought our first Travel Trailer. I'll be documenting our travels also on this blog!

Friday, January 20, 2012

Homemade laundry detergent!!

Here is my recipe for laundry detergent.  I dont have enough time OR patience to make the gel/liquid kind.  You only need 2 tbls for each load.  Hopefully it helps you guys out!

So before I got my dehydrater I would cut up my soap and "dry" it on a paper towel for about 3 weeks.  But with this method you can dry out your soap in about a day and a half.

 Ingredients:
3 bars of ivory soap
1 1/2 cup borax
1 1/2 cup baking soda
1 1/2 cup super washing soda
(tide stain booster is how ever much you want - I use about half a container.  You do not have to add this I just got these for free with coupons, and don't have any other use for them so I add them to my detergent.)

If you want to make a bigger or smaller batch it's basically 1/2 cup each baking soda, super washing soda, and borax, per each bar of soap.


 Here is how you know that your soap isn't completely dry. 
 It balls up when you process it. If you don't have a processor you can use a ziploc bag and rolling pin to make it into the powder)


 it SHOULD look like a fine powder when it's dry - like the below picture.
 Now dump all your soap into your container and mix it up!  Here is my bucket - I repurposed a popcorn bucket we got about 2 years ago from a disney on ice event.  This has lasted me for the 2 years I have been making the laundry detergent.  I also labeled it so when we had visitors that were doing laundry without us being home they would know how much to use.  Also for my husband as well! :)


1 comment:

  1. i am so sorry! i never got a notification that there was a reply! no the dove soap i use (just the normal plain jane origianl (which is what you should use for this!)) it's very moist - if you try to make it a powder it won't happen. you must let it dry!

    ReplyDelete