About Me

My photo
Rural, GA, United States
I'm an army wife, working mom of 2 kids.! My husband Tim is a Soldier In the army. I work for MWR for the Community Recreation Division as an admin assistant...I absolutely LOVE my job I couldn't have found anything better! My daughter, Kennedie, was born in January of 04 and our son, Cale, was born June of 09. Kennedie is VERY involved in dancing, she is in her 11th season (2019-2020) of being a competitive dancer. It's exhausting but we LOVE it. Cale is starting to REALLY get into sports. He is on a year round wrestling team, and he plays baseball in the spring! This blog started out as a recipe sharing venture but now it's going to turn into a more "granola" way to live. Cheap recipes more homemade recipes and re-purposing things. I'm a crafter at heart so I'm going to throw some of that in there too! On Valentines Day of 2017 we bought our first Travel Trailer. I'll be documenting our travels also on this blog!

Monday, July 9, 2012

Just little ol me repurposing again!

So this picture isn't to showcase myself (excuse the chest I was 8 months pregnant with my son) it's to showcase the bookcase behind me.  I have had this bookcase since I was like 19-20.  I bought it with my employee discount at office depot for about $15.  It is normally a bamboo colored wood, which I didn't change in my room at my parents house.  When we moved to Washington - I painted it to match our living room wood furniture.  I believe this color was called baked bread.  It stayed that way for about 9 years (though it found it's new home in our dining room and didn't really match - I've always wanted to paint it)  FINALLY all the stuff that was on it at our GA home got put on a new shelf in our living/dining room.  This no longer had a home.  I've been complaining about the functionality of our current kitchen.  Cabinets are a weird size - really deep and really long and you can push stuff to the back and it would get forgotten because you can't see it!  Then born was the idea to transform it into a usable kitchen accessory!
 First I sanded that 9 year old paint off (thank goodness I have an electric sander) and then painted it black (spray paint of course)  With some contact paper that I already had, I layed it on the floor and cut a little bigger around the shelf.  Took the liner off and layed it sticky side up back on the floor.  I then layed the shelf on top of it.  Picking it back up carefully I smoothed it down and made sure it was on there good.  Turned it back over and onto the floor to cut around the edge with an exacto knife.  BOOM it was that easy.  Start to finish with the teedious sanding and cutting around probably 2 hours!  Now look at it.  I also learned during this process that I've been a hoarder of measuring cups and measuring spoons - I had FOUR sets of measuring cups and FIVE sets of spoons.  I paired it down to two a peice! 
My beloved food saver came out of hiding and will probably get used more too!

No comments:

Post a Comment