About Me

My photo
Rural, GA, United States
I'm an army wife, working mom of 2 kids.! My husband Tim is a Soldier In the army. I work for MWR for the Community Recreation Division as an admin assistant...I absolutely LOVE my job I couldn't have found anything better! My daughter, Kennedie, was born in January of 04 and our son, Cale, was born June of 09. Kennedie is VERY involved in dancing, she is in her 11th season (2019-2020) of being a competitive dancer. It's exhausting but we LOVE it. Cale is starting to REALLY get into sports. He is on a year round wrestling team, and he plays baseball in the spring! This blog started out as a recipe sharing venture but now it's going to turn into a more "granola" way to live. Cheap recipes more homemade recipes and re-purposing things. I'm a crafter at heart so I'm going to throw some of that in there too! On Valentines Day of 2017 we bought our first Travel Trailer. I'll be documenting our travels also on this blog!

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Couple Frugal Things.....

So while I've always considered myself pretty thrifty and making sure I'm getting the best deal - there is always room for improvement.  I started reading "The Frugal Girl" blog 4 or so years ago.  I like seeing how she manages her family on one income.  What I really take away from her posts is the ones where she repairs something that is still functional.  Before I started reading her blog I would have thrown something away that had a flaw/defect.  But now I look for ways to repair it before I let it go if it still has a function in my life.  Will repairing it be cheaper than replacing it?  She replaced a button on her jeans after the first one came off.  I would have in the past totally thrown the jeans away, but these fit her great and the only defect on it was the button!  It cost her $5 or so bucks to fix it after she got a kit that she can use again!

She does freezer challenges where she will eat the things in her freezer before she goes shopping again, or plans meals around the things that NEED to be eaten in her freezer before they go bad.  She has taught me to be more intentional about spending money.

Enter my closet!
 Like most of you I'm sure, you have watched the Marie Kondo show on netflix.  I binged it over a weekend and cleaned out my closet.  I got rid of that entire section!  HUGE pile I took to Clothes Mentor.  They offered me $37 for the items that they wanted to sell, I took that in store credit and then treated myself to a brand new pair of Lilly Pulitzer shorts that totally Sparks Joy in my life!  I still have money left over too.  The clothes they wouldn't be able to sell I went ahead and had them donate. They were still usable clothes just WAY too big for me now.

My favorite sunglasses...
 I'm sure you have seen a ton of pictures of me in these sunglasses on my blog.  They are my favorite.  I love glitter and rhinestones.  Recently they fell off my head and had a piece come out.
 Insert sad face!  There was definitely a chunk missing I couldn't get them to touch even if I wanted to glue that seam together.  Because I didn't want to damage them further I hadn't been able to wear them the last couple of weeks.

I realized the other day that I could repair them with my UV resin.  I'd been dabbling in this craft recently.  I don't have a picture of me placing the UV resin in the space with a Popsicle stick because it was a two handed job.
 My first cure, the resin shrinks a little during the curing process.  Once it was done (about a minute later - I always add time to it just in case.  I filled in a few small spaces - very carefully I might add, because I didn't want it to be all over the place and noticeable.
 From far away you cant even tell I did a repair job.  And if you are close enough to tell I did it, then you are WAY too into my personal bubble!  :)
 Close up of my handy work.
I'm so happy that they are fixed and I'm able to wear them again!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love your sunglasses repair and I honestly would have done the same thing. I am not a huge fan of clothes mentor because I feel like I always get super low balled on deals there. I guess that's just par for the course. Also, I guess I would rather donate my items to those in need. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right they do low ball you. BUT I knew going in some of the stuff they weren't going to take based on it's age, so majority was going to be donated. $37 is still $37 I didn't have before going in. It allowed me to get a pair of shorts that fit me. Because lets me honest - those bags of clothes would have been in the back of my car forever because I would keep forgetting to drop them to a goodwill location. So getting money motivated me to make sure they got donated in a timely manner! :)

      Delete