About Me

My photo
Rural, GA, United States
I'm an army wife, working mom of 2 kids.! My husband Tim is a Soldier In the army. I work for MWR for the Community Recreation Division as an admin assistant...I absolutely LOVE my job I couldn't have found anything better! My daughter, Kennedie, was born in January of 04 and our son, Cale, was born June of 09. Kennedie is VERY involved in dancing, she is in her 11th season (2019-2020) of being a competitive dancer. It's exhausting but we LOVE it. Cale is starting to REALLY get into sports. He is on a year round wrestling team, and he plays baseball in the spring! This blog started out as a recipe sharing venture but now it's going to turn into a more "granola" way to live. Cheap recipes more homemade recipes and re-purposing things. I'm a crafter at heart so I'm going to throw some of that in there too! On Valentines Day of 2017 we bought our first Travel Trailer. I'll be documenting our travels also on this blog!

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Fort Payne, Alabama

We decided to go and explore one weekend, it happened to be my birthday and mothers day in the same weekend!  Warning:  This post is not broken up by days and is very picture heavy!!

Typically we hook up the truck and trailer the night before, we decided to wait till the morning to do it this time.  Got everything hooked up, packed in and when it was time to check the lights, nothing happened.  At first we had no running lights.  Fixed that with a little shove to the plugs.  Then we didn't have brake or turn signals.  Hmmmm - did a lot of You Tubing for diagnosis and how to fix it.  We had to pull out the owners manual to find out where the fuses were for those lights.  Found TWO of the four fuses that work the brake and blinkers were out.  So on our way out we stopped at a Walmart (thankfully we left super early so there wasn't much traffic out so having no working brake lights wasn't a super huge deal...).  FINALLY got the fuses and got them installed and we were good to go!  But UGH what a way to start the trip!
This guy likes to stay up late and sleep in.  We woke him up "early" and he went right back to sleep in the car!

I bought this little guy on Amazon for $13 or so dollars.  While it wasn't cold it wasn't exactly hot.  We could leave the door open and let the breeze in in the middle of the day but it was quite chilly at night.  This kept the camper comfortably warm, and it wasn't as noisy as the other heater we have that will pop on when it needs to and wake you up at night!  This was the first time since I got it last year that we got to use it!  Well worth the investment!
Had to log into work for a bit - my heater was keeping me nice and comfortable!

I had an epidural shot in my back on tuesday so my back was still a little stiff, I didn't want to overdue it so the boys went to Hippie Hole by themselves the first night.

After the boys got back we ate some dinner and then played some games.  I got this little mini cornhole game a while ago - and totally forgot that we had it!  Cale and me played this for a while - trying different ways to try and get the bean bag in the whole.
He loves to mess with her!
They told me that there was no room for girls on the bed!



During the night Tim lost his phone between the bed and the closet.  Thinking he would just get it in the morning.  So we looked in the holding compartment where it should have gone.  We looked and moved things in there for a good 30 minutes.  It was NO WHERE to be found!  I got on the bed with my phone and flashlight and realized we had a secret compartment (where we could have had more storage had they not built a wall!) and the phone was in there.  We had to move the bed out and slowly invert the bed and have Cale lay on it and grab the phone when he saw it.  FINALLY we got the phone!
Finally were able to start breakfast!  Since this day was my BIRTHDAY I got pampered and got whatever my heart desired!  For the last 18 months we have had no propane in our bottles and it's never been an issue we just used a plug in burner and cooked.  Before we left Tim decided it was time to refill so we grabbed some on our way down.
Then this guy fell asleep...
Two different times!
It was going to be rainy all day so we decided to do some touristy things in the Fort Payne area.  We stayed in the camper for a while and then decided to go to Adams Burger down the road.  We obviously couldn't go in and sit and eat so we did a to go order and ate in the car.
Kennedie got a new iPad and apple pencil.  She hasn't put that thing down since she got it.
We found an antique "mall" and went to explore.  I never thought we would still be in semi-quarantine over my birthday.
Then my sister, two nieces, mom and great niece called to sing me Happy Birthday!!!  It was nice to see them all.  My niece at the bottom of the screen has a birthday the day after mine!  I always joke with my sister and "thank" her for allowing each of us to have our own birthday.  Which is even funnier because I share a birthday with a brother in law, a niece and another nephew!
Leaving Big Mill antiques.
Then we just went exploring downtown Fort Payne.
The band Alabama is from the Fort Payne area.  This is their Fan Club and Museum.




My birthday is near Cinco de Mayo.  I like to play it up!
I made myself new piñata earrings!
We went back to the campground but decided to keep going down the road and see what was past the campground.  

Oh man 10 year old boys are stinky!
We stopped at Walmart while we were out and grabbed a few $5 movies.  We were about to watch GI Joe.
Then I got to eat my Carrot Cake!

Next morning - he is back to messing with her!
and sometimes she just goes with it.
BRR it was going to be a cold morning!

We decided to Kayaking this day.  I totally didn't bring warm clothes - so we had to wear the joggers we packed as pajama pants.  Neither of us really matched.
I have never seen so many go here signs!
Desoto Falls
Where we launched the kayaks.


The boys.  I don't know how Tim was able to wear just a tank top - it was so chilly - especially with the wind!

Finally found a place we could stop and eat our lunch!
Just a little rock outcropping!






  1. I'm lucky I keep all sorts of stuff tucked in our camper.  We had a cooler backpack that came in handy the entire weekend!



This park was apart of "Parks for Patriots" so we got in for free and were able to not have to pay to park.  We did pay $100 for two double kayaks for 2 hours of rental time.

Once we were done with Kayaking we went to look around.



This panoramic doesn't even do this place justice it was just so beautiful!


On our way out we found this - the time it took to do this!




Then we made a rock totem!




Getting to Desoto Falls you go through Desoto State Park.  They offer Zipline.
Cale right before school stopped was learning about the trail of tears.  So he thought this was pretty cool to see it first hand.
After we left Desoto Falls (I was still trying to be cognizant of my back so we didn't go on another hike like we had wanted - I didn't want to be in pain later that night.)  So we went to look at Hippie Hole, which is just about 2 miles from our campground.





Then we did S'mores!
This was a nice campground.  It was clean but I felt like we were on top of each other a little bit.  The spot we had was a back in spot, and we had to back it up a hill to the flat slot.  It was a maneuver for sure.  I just felt we didn't have a lot of "real estate" like we are used to at other campgrounds.  I will say this campground did offer a GREAT military discount.  When we asked if they offered it she asked how long he had served, he told her 20 years and she said we got a 50% discount on our rate.  So we ended up only playing $60 for the three nights we were there!
The trailer on the left of this picture got a little rowdy the night before I took this picture.  They started Karaoke early in the evening and I really thought that we would have to listen to them all night long.  Thankfully by 8:30 they were done and the campground was quiet again!



We packed up the trailer and headed back to Hippie Hole - thankfully they have RV parking available.

It was a good 30 minute hike from the trail head to the bottom.




There was not a lot of people when we first got there.   We found a spot in the shade and set up a sheet to sit on.


Our little picnic lunch.  These little bottles come in handy!  Kennedie takes them in her lunch and it holds her milk for her cereal or to drink with her lunch.  In the camper when we are only gone a couple days it doesn't make sense to bring a gallon of milk.  So we just fill up one of these per day and she is good to go.  We DID have a gallon of sweet tea we picked up on the way down for the boys.  So since I had two of these bottles clean and available I just filled the last of the sweet tea in them for them to drink on our picnic.  Cale was so happy to see he could have sweet tea instead of water for lunch!


She brought paint stuff and a jar for her water.  So we went to the stream to fill it up!
I've been hoarding my pumpkin bread mixes and he REALLY wanted some muffins.  These never last long!









On our way out!


No comments:

Post a Comment